Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Ben Bruno Training - He Is Training Super Models With Heavy Weights, What's Stopping You?

If you aren't following Ben Bruno on Facebook, I recommend you DO! He has great video clips of awesome exercises that he does with his clients - many of them super models. And guess what they are doing? Weight training. 

I also recently started following him on Instagram and he had this post:

Woman: I've tried 'everything' to lose fat.
Me: Do you lift weights or do sleds?
Her: No
Me: Then you've tried everything except what works.

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! This made me crack up! So true. But I bet she's eating low carb and running. (ME - eye roll)

Have any of you tried sleds? They are so great - and maybe I'm twisted, but I think they are fun. You can see Kate Upton performing them with Ben here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xnooGPIQl0

Talk about a great leg workout and cranking up your heart rate. I do not sweat much when I workout, but this will do it!

Once a week I do these as a Tabata cash out to one of my workouts and I love it. I do them at home sometimes in the winter when I don't feel like schlepping my butt out in the cold. I stack three laundry baskets together and throw in a bunch of Kettlebells and I push them along my basement floor. :) 

I monitored my heart rate again this morning (funny how many comments I got about Zuzka, but nothing about the heart rate info.....?!) I did 10 minutes of alternating between jumping rope and Kettlebell snatches. My heart rate went up to 123. My highest for my age could be 147. I seriously don't know what I would have to do to get it that damn high. Snatches burn more calories per minute than any other exercise! It's fun experimenting regardless. I went and did some handstands and yoga afterwards. More my speed anyways!




12 comments:

  1. I love that you post your honest opinions about things. It is goid to read different opinions and views and it is your blog! I don't measure heart rate so can't respond. But I am interested in looking up this ben bruno. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tracey. I am honest. Not everyone likes it! Ben Bruno rocks. Let us know what you think.

      Delete
  2. I will check out Ben Bruno for sure. I haven't been lifting heavily for the past almost two months and it's been a good change, but not something I'll keep up for good. Kinda needed to give my body a break and figure out nutrition and rest/recovery. Sometimes our bodies need that. At the same time, however, I feel like I've lost some strength, although I've slimmed down (which I'm happy about - I don't weigh myself). Today I lifted a bit heavier than I normally do and will work to get some strength back.

    The only thing that trips me up is diet..... I need to figure that out so as to gain (and lose!) the right kind of mass.

    I don't track my HR either but appreciate you sharing; it's an huge factor to consider when comes to exertion/expenditure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DIET!!!! The damn bread and chocolate are my weaknesses. Not pizza, chips, alcohol, or candy, just bread and chocolate.

      Delete
    2. I agree, definitely chocolate, and sometimes I overdo the nuts (walnuts and cashew, omg, love!). Sometimes bread but I do keep it "in check" sometimes...

      I need to figure out how to eat enough of the right kind of food to encourage muscle growth while also stimulating fat loss. It's a science, one of trial and error, for sure. I may seek out a nutritionist (short-term) just to get some insight and then work from there. My brain feels like it short circuits sometimes (not all the time) because I don't eat enough, and not intentionally. So I DEFINITELY need to figure that out before adding more weight to my routine.

      (I will gladly share in comments or email what I find out!)

      Delete
  3. 147 sounds quite low to me as your maximum. Also the 123 when you are really pushing. But I don´t know, maybe your resting heart rate is like 8 or something. =D I can pretty easily hit 160-170 (I´m 35 years young.) My resting HR is around 50, sometimes even under that. 123 sounds like a warm up to me. =D Back in the day there was this formula: 220-your age=your maximum. That would make your max to be 175. I did some research and found out the formula is a bit different these days: 206- 80% of your age=your maximum. Still 147 seems quite low for you... This is interesting though. =D What kind of heart rate monitor are you using? Maybe it´s not accurate...? Just a thought. =D

    I always sweat, like buckets, especially if the w/o is hard! =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am wondering too if it in an accurate heart rate monitor (it's a FitBit). My resting heart rate is quite low, under 40. I am also 46 years old though. I did a Crossfit workout this morning and I still only got up to 123! And I was DYING.
      The 175 would be MAX. It is not recommended you workout to your max, but 65-85%. The 147 would be 85% for me. I think all the yoga I do with breath control might have something to do with it too.

      Delete
    2. Oh, I remembered you are 45. Close enough. =D Yeah, sure, you are not meant to train at your maximum level, but it´s ok to get quite close to that number shortly. =D Your very low resting HR explains a lot, I think. =D

      Delete
    3. And also, I don´t know how accurate FitBit is. Never have used one. When I was still using a HR monitor, it was always Polar. Good brand. I don´t use it anymore, because at some point I noticed I got a bit obsessed about it; it was time to let it go. =D

      P.S I crave chocolate a lot if there is not enough fat in my normal diet. Don´t know about you, guys. =D Usually my weakness is sugar overall, especially candy. And baked goodies. Yammy. =D

      Delete
  4. I love handstands started Z workouts again and I have improved already lol 😁 I have always loved your honesty xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love handstands started Z workouts again and I have improved already lol 😁 I have always loved your honesty xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like very much after reading the lofty view of scintillating idea. There are really efficient and some home gym equipment newly intrigued techniques all coming up which will help the common people get the purposes all solved in quick stance of time. The most important techniques as well as ways of working on gym equipment is ideal and that makes the resistance training business so helpful as well as good for the common people. For further info you may have to log in its web portal.

    ReplyDelete